Thursday, March 14, 2013

People and Pets

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a huge animal lover. More than one person has hesitated to let me hold their beloved pet for fear that my extreme affection would cause me to inadvertently squeeze the life out of their fuzzy, adorable little creature. I have been likened to Elmira from Tiny Toons on more than one occasion, and it's not an entirely inaccurate comparison. I just want to love them and squeeze them and hug them to pieces!  Well, not exactly, but you get the idea.
(cartoon challenge) I'd have to say cartoonwise I'm a lot like Elmira. I just wanna hug Em and squeeze Em animals and people alike
Elmira

I can't explain why I love animals do much -- I just do. They're cute and adorable and would probably love you even if no one else in the world did. They're non-judgmental and sweet, and oh-so-nice to snuggle with. I think they're probably better than most people. In short, they're awesome!

I think pets, whether they be cats, dogs, birds, reptiles, or amphibians, can fill voids in peoples' lives, especially individuals who may not like or trust many other people. But they can also be wonderful additions to a family. My family, at least for the time being, consists of me, my husband, and my dog.

I got my dog, Penny, for my fourteenth birthday, and she has been both company to a lonely girl and a member of my family. I've had for for more than ten years, her entire life, and she means more to me than I can even express in words. She's laying next to me on the couch snoring right now, and I can't imagine living without her. I know some day I won't have her anymore, and the day she passes away is the day I will probably make my first visit to a mental institution.

Penny
I think everyone who has a pet should be as insanely in love with them as I am with Penny, but I know not everyone feels this way about their pets. If I had a dollar for every time I heard about or saw someone treat an animal, especially a pet, poorly, I would be rich. And I would like to think I would give that money to a good cause that benefits animals in need.

I have to remind myself that not everyone feels as strongly as I do, and that some people feel even stronger about how animals should be treated. I respect people who push for animal rights, and I really applaud those who practice vegetarianism or veganism. I'm not ready to make a drastic change in my diet or life, but I can take good care of the animals I have, encourage other people to do the same, and support more humane sources of food, like free-range farming.

So, readers, do you have a pet (or pets) that you're absolutely crazy about? If so, tell me about them! Then give them a hug for me :)








2 comments:

  1. Lola is such a pain in the butt. We spoil her rotten, though.

    Also, real men head boop kittens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had four dogs at one point, one of them we just lost due to illness. I have since called two of them by the name of Molly. My dogs are a part of my family and it would seem incredibly odd not to have a dog running around. We have two cats as well, but they're very aloof.

    ReplyDelete