Thursday, March 7, 2013

Hold Your Judgement

Something I have noticed in the last few years is how judgmental people can be towards each other. Ironically, it seems as though the people who complain about being ostracized for their appearance or beliefs are often the ones who judge other people the most severally. You would think people people with alternative lifestyles would be the most open-minded, but that isn't always true. I don't know how many times I have heard a very religious person complain that someone isn't devout enough, or how often I hear punk-minded individuals refer to other rockers as "posers." It's frustrating to hear someone wish for people to respect their choices in one breath, and in the next criticize someone else's decisions.

Maybe I'm noticing this because I'm getting older and growing up, but looking back over the last few years I realize I have unfairly judged people. I didn't have the easiest time growing up, and I unfairly judged people around me based on what was going on in my home. As a cheerleader, I was surrounded by pretty girls with successful families and seemingly happy home lives. It was frustrating to hear complaints about having to be home for dinner when the only hot meal I got all day came from the school cafeteria, and the idea of a daily family meal was altogether foreign. I would get angry when I would hear other girls talk about buying a dress for the Homecoming ceremony and another for the dance, because all the money I'd saved for the event had been stolen by a drug-addicted family member. I couldn't understand how so many of my peers were so short-sighted; how they couldn't see the people around them who had "real" problems.

I've come to realize that, however trivial their problems seemed to me, their problems were very real and important to them. For me to judge them so poorly and dismiss their issues was extremely unfair, because I didn't bother trying to see things from their point of view. With this lesson learned, I'm doing my best to not commit my past mistakes in my future, and I also wanted to share what I've learned with whoever may read my blog. So, if you find yourself determining that someone you've encountered isn't devout, cool, or troubled enough, please take a moment to look at things from their point of view and reassess your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment