Friday, February 8, 2013

Retail Rant

A few months ago I accepted a retail management position out of desperation to find work. This isn't my first job where I have to work with the public, but the unique mixture of dealing with customers, frustrated coworkers, and crappy hours has helped me recognize some of the things that people do that really irritate me. These behaviors are by no means limited to my current field, but here's a short list of pet peeves I've discovered while working in retail:

1. People who can't take a joke
I've been known to say funny things from time to time, and sometimes I manage to make people laugh and sometimes I don't. I especially like to make jokes to dissolve unneeded tension in a room, but I never resort to offensive jokes based on race, religion, or gender stereotypes. My coworkers all know me well enough to know when I'm trying to to cheer someone up or lighten the mood, but sometimes they choose not to take what I say for what it is: a joke. They snap back with a pissed-off response, but then when I tell them I was joking they say, "Oh, I know, but (insert rest of comment here)." THAT is what irritates me. If you know I'm joking and I haven't actually offended you, don't respond like I have, especially when you're just making a point that everyone already knows. You've thwarted my attempt to lessen everyone's discomfort, ruined a perfectly good joke, and made yourself look like a total jerk in one sentence. Congratulations, I hope whatever pissy thing you just had to say was worth it.

2. People who take themselves too seriously
I'm guilty of this, and I think most people probably are from time to time. Everyone has the right to be taken seriously, especially when voicing concerns and ideas, but some people just take themselves too seriously. Someone who can't stand to be teased even a little about whatever helps make them unique is someone who isn't comfortable with themselves. If you have a hobby, belief, personality quirk, or anything else that most people find weird, either don't share with anyone that doesn't have it in common with you or be open to a little good-natured ribbing. How you handle a little teasing is indicative of your personality, so it's important to have a little sense of humor about yourself.

3. People who act like it's your fault they're doing something they don't want to do
This comes from both customers and coworkers. We have customers in the store all the time complaining about the lack of inventory or the price of products. Sometimes they don't want to be there at all, but were dragged in by a friend or have to buy a gift for someone. I'm sympathetic to doing things out of responsibility, but I'm not forcing anyone into the store and keeping them there against their will, and being treated like I am gets very old, very fast. The same treatment comes from my co-workers from time to time (I probably do it too, honestly). Remember that if you are doing something out of a sense of duty, IT IS NO ONE'S FAULT BUT YOUR OWN. So, act accordingly.

I know that everyone, including myself, is guilty of each of these behaviors from time to time. After experiencing how annoying it is to be around someone acting this way, I'm going to make more of an effort to act better. But, I'd like to know what my readers' pet peeves are, so leave a comment or send me a message to let me know!


1 comment:

  1. Man, I could probably fill a page with my pet peeves. The ultimate for me, though, is any sentence that begins with "I'm not a racist, but...". Obviously, whatever follows is sure to be racist. Aside from that, I don't know why some people assume I'm going to sympathize with their racist, sexist, or homophobic opinions.

    Damn it, Carlie. You're going to make me blog about this, aren't you?

    ReplyDelete