Wednesday, January 2, 2013

My New Year's Resolution

Despite this being my first ever blog entry, I will be brief. A few weeks ago, I read 6 Harsh Truths That Will Make You a Better Person and, after briefly being offended, I realized that David Wong is absolutely right: society IS only interested in what you have to offer, and if you want to get along well it's up to you to develop skills that people demand. It's not enough to be a good person; you have to be able to do something most people can't if you want to be treated like an asset to society.

As I said before, I was at first offended by such tough-love advice, but I had an epiphany after I realized that these 6 Truths were absolutely true. I realized the few years of adulthood I've experienced have been filled with professional failure and unhappiness, and it's because I'm not giving the world what I have to offer.

It doesn't matter what my job is or if I'm using my skills there; I'm a trained writer and I need to write. I hope that regularly writing and sharing my work in a public forum will negate the disappointment in my so far lackluster career, even if it doesn't bring me great professional success, monetary gain, or personal fame. I'm going to write not because I think I'll become famous doing it, but because it makes me happy and fulfilled.

So this is my New Year's resolution: I will write at least one document a week for public consumption and keep a private journal to improve my creative process. I will continue to do this no matter what changes in my life, professionally or privately, for all of 2013. This way at the end of the year, even if I'm still dissatisfied with my career, I will have more than 50 documents to show how I made use of my time and the skills I've worked so hard to develop.

I invite all of you to read my blog and any other documents I create to share. I don't know what I'll write about every week, but I will rely on current events and my brain for inspiration. If there's something you think I should write about, please let me know! I hope that my work will somehow benefit you, and that you will help hold me accountable to my resolution. Happy 2013, everyone!


1 comment:

  1. Hopefully your blogging goes better than mine! I started blogging a few months ago and got too busy around Christmas time and stopped. Hopefully I'll find some time to get back into it!

    ReplyDelete